Mother's Day...
I recently painted this in Photoshop for my wife on Mother's Day. It's from a photo that I had taken a year or so ago, and I figured she'd like it as my daughter doesn't usually sit still long enough for cuddles anymore :¬(
I avoided painting on top of the photo, as I find you usually end up in a sort of 'no man's land' struggling to capture the image underneath whilst actually obscuring it! Instead, I placed the main photo and a few detail enlargements to one side [on my left monitor], and then painted the picture on my main monitor, as if I'm referencing a life model setup.
I consciously tried to keep it fairly graphic [although the hands got a bit slick], and the lighting and composition is slightly different from the source image.
I avoided painting on top of the photo, as I find you usually end up in a sort of 'no man's land' struggling to capture the image underneath whilst actually obscuring it! Instead, I placed the main photo and a few detail enlargements to one side [on my left monitor], and then painted the picture on my main monitor, as if I'm referencing a life model setup.
I consciously tried to keep it fairly graphic [although the hands got a bit slick], and the lighting and composition is slightly different from the source image.

10 Comments:
great painting
woo! so amazing, you're crazyly talented in picture! i like that!!:) it's a very nice picture..full of love..
I hope your family and you are very fine!
bises de france
Agnes :)
your work is really fantastic!
Stunning!!! What a painting! great light, great colour and great subject.
See you soon.
Tim
This is beautiful Ross! I love the lose, painterly style of it when you get up close.
A M A Z I N G !!!
I am in awe!!
:O !!!! I thought it was a photo, when I first saw it!! Incredible; even with the pattern on the curtain! How long did it take you?
Thanks for all the kind words!
I did this over a few weekend mornings, and lunchtimes - in total it probably took about 3 days. Grabbing odd moments worked quite well for this, as it was easier to see at the start of each session which areas required attention.
I'm impressed by ur work...nice blog...
Post a Comment
<< Home