Friday, April 14, 2006

Photoshop Self Portrait


A few colleagues at work have just started up an evening drawing group, which got me thinking that I haven't done any drawing from life for ages! So I thought I'd have a go at a Photoshop self-portrait.


For this one I filled the background mid-colour, and then started painting the negative areas to define the overall head-shape, then I went in with some linear drawing of the features, and finished with the tonal paintwork. The whole thing took about 1 hour 30 mins.

I thought I'd been fairly accurate, but I still had to spend 15mins at the end tweaking and shifting features [a heck of a lot easier with Photoshop than real paint!].

3 Comments:

Blogger Tim Holleyman said...

This is a really great portrait, I like the mix of graphical lines and looser brush work. The white works really well to bring your face out of the background. Do you have any pencil drawn portraits you can put up?

11:07 pm  
Blogger Ross Dearsley said...

Thanks! I haven't done any pencil portraits for a while, but I'll see if I can dig out any older ones. When I was at college I tended to use ink as it forced me to be bolder and more graphic. One thing I noticed doing this one is how forgiving a tonal study is compared to line - I think you have to be much more focussed and accurate with line alone.

10:06 am  
Blogger Agnes Fouquart said...

amazing, you're very talented.
I really recognize you!
Adn like timmy, i like the touchs of colors, just efficient.
Thanks and good luck for the work:)
Agnes (from france!)

11:11 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home