Monday, November 20, 2006

Eragon concepts...

As trailers for ERAGON are out now I thought I'd share some concepts that accompanied a computer game proposal. I was given a week to do some sketches and colour studies based on the main characters and elements from the Christopher Paolini book.

Below are two sketch pages showing ideas for Eragon himself, the dragon, Saphira, Eragon's sword, and Saphira's egg, plus some rough pose compositions for the colour image...


Below - colour treatment of Saphira's egg, and stages in painting Eragon...

This is the final presentation image...

Here are some images from the film. I particularly like the feathery treatment of Saphira's scales, especially on the wings - it makes a nice change from bat-like dragon wings. It looks like the design is fairly close to the original hardback book cover illustration. From what I've seen in the trailers, Saphira's head/face design looks quite interesting also - to me it looks like it has subtle equine and feline features blended into a reptilian head.

6 Comments:

Blogger George Cwirko-Godycki said...

this stuff is totally awesome! nice blog

10:39 am  
Blogger HelldorinStudio said...

you have a very nice work in your blog... I don't see the film but i will go to see that...

1:29 pm  
Blogger HelldorinStudio said...

i had post a dragon on my blog !!!

6:03 pm  
Blogger Ross Dearsley said...

Thanks for the kind words - much appreciated!

1:35 pm  
Blogger Andrew Glazebrook said...

Really cool artwork man !

11:18 pm  
Blogger Marmax said...

The game looks like it'd be more fun than the movie was. ;)

9:30 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home