Wednesday, November 15, 2006

DC Comics Sample Pages...

I've recently been preparing notes and artwork for an Illustration workshop which I'm teaching, when I found this two-page sample that I did for DC Comics last year.

A script was provided, with panel descriptions & dialogue, but without any background information or visual reference, so it was very open to interpretation.

Anyway, these are the ink skratchings and pencils that I drew whilst trying to get a handle on the panel layouts and composition...



These are layouts created from scanned pencil drawings and then shuffled and re-composed in Photoshop to fit the correct page format. I also put in rough indications of the dialogue elements to make sure the storytelling aspect of the panels worked properly...



And here are the final pencils!

I can't say I was overly happy with the end results at the time - I think I was a bit star-struck by the whole 'DC Comics' thing! I feel that I tightened up a bit, and missed an opportunity to do more lively & individual images. I still haven't managed to work on a project for DC yet - but maybe one day!


2 Comments:

Blogger R A B said...

MAN ALIVE!!! those pages are awesome, hot dang that's some good stuff...it's great to see your thought process with all the working sketches aswell, thanks dude, i must go draw comics now!! :)

11:05 am  
Blogger Ross Dearsley said...

Hey thanks Ross! Glad you found the working sketches interesting, but what're you doing hanging around on the internet? The sooner you get back to the drawing board, the sooner we'll all be able to read your comic ;)

12:54 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home